With cheap airfares, shorter stays in Iceland have become increasingly popular. Especially guests from locations with direct flights enjoy booking a cheap flight, staying 2-3 nights and go back home without missing a day of work. This is also due to higher prices for accommodation in Iceland and especially .
• Plan ahead. Research what you want to do and see if it is possible in a short amount of time.
• Do not just get from the airport to Reykjavik or vice versa. Use the transfer for more. If your flight times allow you can squeeze in a visit to the Blue Lagoon. The lagoon is conveniently located near the airport. You can even do some sightseeing on the Reykjanes peninsula. It is one of Iceland´s most famous swimming pools, next to the Secret Lagoon and the Myvatn Natura baths in the north.
• Do not forget Reykjavik. Iceland´s main attractions are in its nature. But still we also have a charming capital. So leave some time to walk down Laugavegur ( the main shopping street) and sit in a place for coffee or have an Icelandic beer. Many bars have happy hour which start around the time day tours end. What could be better after a day out in the cold?
• Do not feel ashamed to take the golden circle. If you have time for only one day trip it will most likely end with taking the Golden Circle. It is for a reason Iceland´s most popular day tour. With a duration of about 8 hours it is not too long and still covers three main attractions: Gullfoss waterfall, Geysir hot springs and Þingvellir national park, a very important place in Iceland history. In winter you can after the golden circle take some time and relax and have dinner before going on a northern lights hunt in the evening. During the summer months you can use the long days for a whale watching tour.
• Enjoy! It is better to leave some spare time rather than rushing from tour to tour and in the end even missing your pick up. It´s a vacation after all. Hopefully this helps to plan your weekend in Iceland.